Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nice nieces

It's funny. I've been an uncle to a half-dozen kids for decades, the children of Catherine's three brothers. They're all great young men and women, all diverse in their interests and accomplishments, all adding moments of pride to our lives.

Now I have eight more nieces and nephews to begin to know and enjoy.

Tonight I had brief conversation with Abby, Melissa and Grace, three nieces in the Jones clan. I've met them each over the phone a couple times before and I can't wait until June to meet them in person.

They're equally charmed by their "new" uncle, even if they can't always remember his name.

They loved the photo of the kittens I emailed their mom last week and they were telling me about their pooch Snickers.

Catherine and I have been checking out the airfares regularly and I'll probably make a purchase in the coming days. Don't want to get them too early, lest I miss out on any deals, but don't want to wait too long either because the prices are sure to rise.

But I digress.

Over the weekend Amy send me some more photos. These were a tribute to my brother Andy, who I never met and unfortunately will never have the pleasure of meeting. Both Amy and I can't help but to think he's keeping an eye on us and will be happy for this reunion.

Are the photos goofy?

At least one is. There's a story behind why Brice, Dan and Andy are wearing the same shorts. Honest.

I also heard again this weekend from my cousin Arlene, who lives in Sarasota -- just about two hours from Orlando. We plan to visit with Arlene and husband Bret later this month. She'll be my first face-to-face meeting with members of the other half of my family. She sent a family photo and as soon as I have her permission to publish it here I promise I will.

No comments: